The first church of Nuijamaa was built in the year 1887. During the Continuation War the church burned down in 1941. Tarja and Esko Toiviainen, married couple and both architects, designed the drawings for new church. The construction of the new church was financed by donations. The new church was the first reconstructed church after war and it was inaugurated in December 1948. Armas Tirronen has made the altar sculpture. The memorial in the soldier's graveyard next the church is a great stone. All the soldiers from Nuijamaa who died in the war have their name in the stone.